Popular Sites to visit in Punakha:
Drive to Punakha the former capital of Bhutan through Dochula Pass (3150m). On the way stop for a photo stop at Dochula Pass which is 26km away from Thimphu valley, and for Tea and snacks and to enjoy the most spectacular view of eastern Himalayan snow capped Mountains and also the great view of Gasa Dzong at a distance (if weather is clear) .You can see 108 small chorten or stupas which make more beautiful the Dochula Pass. You will be amalgamating into the dense forest of pines.
- Chime Lhakhang, located on a hillock among the rice field and is a pilgrimage for childless couple. Chimi Lhakhang is know as the “Temple Of Fertility” The journey continues through varying scenes of greenery all the way to Punakha. Visit Punakha town. The Punakha Dzong lies between two great rivers with their names as the Phochu (Male River) and the Mochu (Female River). Presently,this Dzong serves as the winter residence for the Je Khenpo, Chief Abbot of the Central Monastic Body and also the office of the district Administration. Punakha Dzong was built in 1637 by the founder of Bhutan,Shabdrung Rimpoche. Shabdrung Rimpoche went into meditation in 1651 at the age of 58,for 12 long years in the Punakha Dzong,after he had established the DUAL system of Governance in Bhutan. Shabdrung Rimpoche’s death was announced only 25 years after his death,as it was believed that even after his physical death,he remained in meditation.
- Punakha Dzong houses many sacred,holy ancient relics,the most sacred being the RANGJUNG KHARSAPANI and the JHOU.
- Khamsum Yulley Temple: This is a temple situated on a hill top and built by the Queen Mother of Bhutan for the fifth and reigning King of Bhutan. The temple is a mark of Bhutanese architecture and paintings. Its a half day hike round trip.
- Punakha Suspension Bridge : The longest in Bhutan starting off near the Punakha Fortress and leads to the village across the Punakha River
Excursion/ Hiking in PUNAKHA
- Chimi Lhakhang
- Khamsum Yulley Namgyal Chorten
- Sangchhen Dorji Lhuendrup Lhakhang Nunnery
- Talo Village
- Punakha Ritsha Village
Adventure / Sports and Other Activities in PUNAKHA
- White Water PopularRiver Rafting
Planning for a trip to Bhutan?
we assure you that “It’s a Great Start For The Perfect Journey to Bhutan”BOOK NOW