Popular Sites to Visit in Thimphu :
Thimphu is the capital city, therefore the most populated district in the country, with about 1,00,000 people. Many of the monasteries, temples and handicrafts, can be reached on foot, you can spend several days in Thimphu easily visiting all sights. This is a good way to understand the culture, traditions and see the lifestyle of the Bhutanese Societies.
- Tashichho Dzong, the main secretariat building. This massive structure houses part of the government Ministries, the office of the King and the Throne Room. It also houses the Central Monastic Body and the living quarters of the Chief Abbot and the senior monks.
- Textile Museum you will see a beautiful display of the garments worn by the Bhutanese from the 1600s up to the present.
- Folk Heritage Museum lets you explore a traditional Bhutanese home and teaches you about the daily life of the rural folk.
- The National Library holds a vast collection of ancient Buddhist manuscripts and contains arguably the best collection of religious and historical literature in the Himalayas.
- Wood Craft and Painting school where traditional arts and crafts are still kept alive through the instructions of painting and curving.
- Simtokha Dzong on a lofty ridge. Built in 1627, the Simtokha Dzong is the oldest fortress and also houses the School of Buddhist Studies.
- The weekend Farmers market is a must, for it is here that you’ll see the variety of food of the country, including basket upon basket of fiery chilies, fresh cheese, and mangoes and the seasonal vegetables eaten by the Bhutanese,including various types of Orchids and Ferns. In addition, many stalls contain Bhutanese handicrafts and household items. It’s fun to meander the aisles, taking in the lively atmosphere of the market.
- The TAKIN Reserve : the National Animal of Bhutan is the TAKIN. It is a legentary animal and is said to have the head of a Goat and the body of a cow.
- Memorial Stupa : This stupa situated in the heart of Thimphu is a memorial built for the Third King of Bhutan. It is the most visited site due to its easy accessibility.
- Buddha Dordenma : The site of the tallest sitting Buddha in the world.
- Private Weaving Centers : There is a few traditional textile weaving centers in Thimphu which doubles up as a Handicrafts shop too.
- Local Crafts Bazaar : All authentic products of Bhutan are sold here.
There are many attractions in and around Thimphu Valley, including, monasteries, a mini zoo, archery fields, restaurants, handicraft shops, a traditional paper factory, a radio tower BBS (which will give you a spectacular birds eye view of Thimphu valley), the National Institute of Traditional Medicine and the Memorial Chorten built in memory of the third King, Jigme Dorji Wangchuck in 1974.
Excursions / Hiking In THIMPHU
- Tango and Cheri Goempa
- Phajoding Goempa
- Tandin Nye
- Motithang Takin Preserve
- Coronation Park
- Ludrong Memorial Garden
- Dochula Pass
- Royal Botanical Garden
- Wangdi Tse Hike
- Lungtsutse Lhakhang above Dochula
- Thada Goempa (Above Simtokha)
Adventure / Sports and Other Activities In THIMPHU
-Cycling trail Depsi to Kuenselphodrang
– Cycling trail Kuenselphodrang to Changangkha Lhakhang
– Motor Biking
Planning for a trip to Bhutan?
we assure you that “It’s a Great Start For The Perfect Journey to Bhutan”BOOK NOW